As a musician in the Royal Air Force, you’ll be joining an organisation with musicians who have a worldwide reputation as being second to none. You will often be called upon to perform for royalty and politicians at State occasions while also providing music support for the RAF, Ministry of Defence and the Foreign and Commonwealth Office. Such events include Changing of the Guard at Buckingham Palace, to concert performances in some of the most prestigious concert halls throughout the world. All RAF Bands are capable of performing many genres of music and our musicians are expected to perform Symphonic Wind Band repertoire, Big Band, Jazz, and Chamber music as well as performing on parade.
- Perform at concert halls, graduation ceremonies and military parades
- Play dance music, chamber repertoire, military marches, symphonic concerts and jazz
- Provide musical support for events like dinners, dances and visits by Heads of States.
- Contribute towards the logistical requirements of RAF Music engagements – organising travel, accommodation and rehearsals.
After initial training - £27,900*
* Conditions apply
- You must be performing at a grade 8 standard (as defined by the Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music) or above at audition, on an instrument we are recruiting within RAF Music services.
- Be aged 17-48
- Commit to minimum 3 years post Phase One Training
- Health requirements
- Fitness requirements
- Education requirements
For more information about the role, our current instrumental vacancies, and details of our application process, visit the RAF Recruitment website (Click 'Apply' to be sent to this site), or contact us on RAFMS-Recruitment@mod.gov.uk