Paralegal Apprenticeship - Irwin Mitchell (Birmingham) x1
- Distance Learning
- Advanced Apprenticeship
- Level 3
- Birmingham remove
Vacancy Short Description - Why should I apply?
Irwin Mitchell’s paralegal apprenticeship programme gives you the opportunity to begin a legal career and join one of the UK’s most successful and respected law firms. This is an exciting opportunity to join the personal injury team in our Birmingham office.
Vacancy Full Description - What work will I be doing? What duties and responsibilities will I have?
At Irwin Mitchell we understand that you want to start your career as soon as possible, whist also continuing your studies. Our paralegal apprenticeship programme gives you the opportunity to begin a legal career and join one of the UK’s most successful and respected law firms. During your apprenticeship you will study for the CILEx NVQ Level 3 Paralegal Apprenticeship and all costs will be met by the firm.
This is an exciting opportunity to join our personal injury team in our Birmingham office, gain an insight into this area of law and develop your skills and expertise.
Personal injury and illness can have a dramatic and sometimes life-changing impact on our clients and those who are close to them. The personal injury teams at Irwin Mitchell don’t just deal with compensation claims, we also work with our clients and their families to ensure all of their rehabilitation needs are met. It’s a unique approach that really makes a difference to people whose lives have been turned upside down by injury.
You will assist case handlers in providing quality legal advice to the firm’s clients and progress cases in the most efficient manner; you will work closely with other team members and provide support to partners where appropriate. This could include preparing bundles of documentation, managing files for legal matters, drafting legal documents, speaking with clients and booking appointments. You will build a rapport with, and provide an excellent level of customer service to, the firm’s clients and become an integral part of the case management team.
You will contribute to the overall profitability of the firm, with particular reference to providing efficient, cost effective work. If appropriate to your practice area, you will take responsibility for opening and closing files ensuring any record keeping and filing is kept up to date and orderly to meet quality and compliance standards.
£302.75 per week
Working Week (total hours plus shift pattern for an average week):
35 hrs per week, Mon - Fri 9am–5pm
CILEx Law School has strong employer links within this industry sector and following on from successful completion of this apprenticeship there maybe the opportunity for progression onto a higher apprenticeship such as the CILEx Chartered Legal Executive apprenticeship.
Who is the employer? Where will I be working?
Irwin Mitchell is passionate about the law and in providing our clients with the very best legal advice and guidance.
We believe in putting our clients first. Our client care is second to none and this, underpinned by our promise to exceed client expectations, has helped the firm to grow to become one of the UK’s most successful and respected law firms.
Today we employ over 2800 people in 15 UK offices.
Training to be provided
- Job-specific training through working alongside experienced staff
- A competency based qualification to demonstrate you have the skills required to carry out the job. These are assessed by breaking down the contents of the jobs within your specific occupation into tasks called units of competences and will be measured through observations, assessments and witness testimony.
- A technical qualification that includes theoretical knowledge required in an occupation and underpins the knowledge required for the competencies.
- Functional Skills (Literacy, Numeracy and IT) Dependent on your prior attainment you may need to be assessed in a literacy, numeracy and ICT skills which are an integral part of your apprenticeship. Upon successfully completion you will be awarded additional certificates of recognition.
- Employment Rights and Responsibilities (ERR)
- Personal Learning & Thinking Skills (PLTS)
- Possible Enhancements
Your academic and competency training will be through CILEx Law School. CILEx Law School provide effective and accessible training for a wide range of professional and vocational legal qualifications. Our emphasis is on quality, innovation, and flexibility in course delivery, coupled with excellence in customer service. We are wholly owned by the Chartered Institute of Legal Executives, and have been delivering legal training for 30 years.
Legal services organisations are increasingly using CILEx Law School training to develop support staff into fee earning roles including through the new legal apprenticeships. For more information please visit our website - www.cilexlawschool.ac.uk
We will review your application against the criteria below when considering your suitability for the role, only applications which clearly demonstrate with evidence that they meet the essential criteria will be short-listed for interview. Desirable criteria are those that enhance your capacity to do the job but can be acquired once in employment.
You must provide evidence to demonstrate you meet the criteria within your application form to be short-listed.
- Basic IT skills and proficient in Microsoft Word
- Able to work well in a business environment
- Strong customer service skills
- Use of Email/Internet
- Caring nature
- Team player
- Strong attention to detail
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Able to meet deadlines
- Able to deal with sensitive and confidential situations appropriately
Minimum Entry Qualifications:
- 5 GCSE grades A to C or equivalent, including Maths and English.
- 3 A Level grades C or above or equivalent (can be predicted at application stage but any offer will be subject to attaining these grades)
- GCSE Grade A to C in IT
If you are required to commute for this role, then please carefully consider the cost and time associated with this.
- This is a monthly paid post and you are required to work a month in hand. You will be entitled to receive 25 days annual leave and £302.75 per week
- You are responsible for funding your own travel to and from your place of work.
- You must conduct yourself in a safe and diligent manner and comply with health and safety policies and procedures.
- You must uphold and promote the company policies and procedures, promoting those specifically to your area of work, including Equality and Diversity and Safeguarding.