PARALEGAL APPRENTICESHIP - Winchester - Capsticks
Not taking applications
Apprenticeship duration: 24 months
Start date: September 2019
People choose to work at Capsticks because we have a passion and a curiosity for the type of work we do. We’re a full service law firm specialising in health, social care and housing sectors, as well as in the field of professional discipline.
We’re looking for Legal Apprentices who want to be part of a team that makes a difference to people’s lives and are passionate about a future career in Law. We’ll develop your potential through extensive training and experienced supportive supervision.
We are also widely regarded as a very friendly place to work. We have a very active social programme and volunteer to help with local communities – sometimes the two coincide with fun fundraising activities that you’ll enjoy getting involved in!
Vacancy Full Description - What work will I be doing? What duties and responsibilities will I have?
- Provide support to fee earners (Partners, Solicitors, Paralegals) in aspects of their casework;
- Develop and apply knowledge and understanding of the law and the legal procedures and formalities relevant to the role;
- Conduct accurate and timely research, analysis and application of the relevant law;
- Draft legal documentation and correspondence;
- Proof reading documents;
- Preparing and drafting reports for clients;
- Develop a good working knowledge of the key clients and contacts in their division;
- Take responsibility for planning and organising workload effectively to deliver work in accordance with deadlines, expectations and cost estimate whilst also meeting quality standards;
- Comply with file management requirements and procedures for all matters;
- Apply a clear understanding of ethical concepts to work carried out;
- Respond to queries in a timely manner, always demonstrating courtesy and professionalism.
Additionally Legal Apprentices within the Housing division are responsible for:
- Drafting routine correspondence and documents
- Preparing mortgage approvals
- Preparing completion documents
- Reviewing leases and other title documents
- Updating clients, solicitors and agents on the progress of matters
- Receipting and paying completion funds
- Assisting with file administration – file opening and closing
- Dealing with exchange of contracts and completions
- Completing Land Registry and SDLT forms
- Searchflow applications
- Preparing reports
- Deed maintenance
- Assisting more junior members of the team with their queries
- General administrative and office support
- Any other duties as reasonably requested
To be a success in the position Legal Apprentices will:
- Realise when beyond capacity, or when a mistake has been made, and proactively seek guidance and support
- Continuously work to improve skills and develop
- Demonstrate enthusiasm and initiative whilst undertaking responsibilities
- Maintain a positive, “can do” attitude
- Demonstrate the ability to work under pressure and willingness to accept changing priorities when new tasks need to be completed
- Demonstrate a strong attention to detail
- Have excellent organisational skills
- Able to communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing
Annual salary £:
£15,000 per annum (Winchester office)
Working Week (total hours plus shift pattern for an average week):
37.5hrs/wk, Mon-Fri 9am – 5:30pm
CILEx Law School has strong employer links within this industry sector and following on from successful completion of this apprenticeship there may be the opportunity for progression onto Chartered Legal Executive training.
Who is the employer? Where will I be working?
The Legal Apprentice role is based at our office in Winchester.
As we look back at 40 years, we will also look at the future of Capsticks and what legacy we can leave. We will launch a brand new legal apprenticeship scheme. This initiative will promote alternate routes to qualification and greater social mobility through a number of placements that will commence in September 2019.
Capsticks is a leading provider of legal services to the health, social care and housing sectors, as well as in the field of professional discipline. The firm has a turnover of c£41m and over 420 staff - including 300 fee earners - across 5 offices nationally and acts for a wide range of long standing clients in both the public and private sector including all forms of NHS organisations, governmental and regulatory bodies, registered providers, insurers, defence organisations, independent healthcare providers, charities and GP practices.
This employer is not Disability Confident
Training to be provided?
- CILEx Law School is the training provider for this paralegal apprenticeship.
The two-year apprenticeship includes the CILEx Level 3 Certificate in Law and Practice. We are experts in delivering this qualification to apprentices. Apprentices will study:
- An introduction to law and practice
- One area of law most relevant to the role
- Its associated area of legal practice
- Client Care Skills
- Legal Research Skills
We offer face to face teaching or live interactive webinars in small class sizes. We do not teach by recorded webinars.
In addition, we support paralegal apprentices to achieve the Paralegal Standard through:
- regular one to one work-place visits by a legal trainer;
- guidance on compiling a portfolio to meet the requirements of the Paralegal Standard and
- skills training.
There would also be job-specific training through working alongside experienced staff at the employer.
You may need to study English and Maths depending on prior attainment.
CILEx Law School provides effective and accessible training for a wide range of professional and vocational legal qualifications. Our emphasis is on quality, innovation, and flexibility in course delivery, coupled with excellence in customer service. We are wholly owned by the Chartered Institute of Legal Executives, and have been delivering legal training for 35 years and legal apprenticeships since 2012.
We will review your application against the criteria below when considering your suitability for the role, only applications which clearly demonstrate with evidence that they meet the essential criteria will be short-listed for interview. Desirable criteria are those that enhance your capacity to do the job but can be acquired once in employment.
You must provide evidence to demonstrate you meet the criteria within your application form to be short-listed.
Minimum Entry Qualifications:
If you will be required to commute, then please carefully consider the cost and time involved before applying for the role.
- This is a monthly paid post and you will be entitled to receive holiday entitlement which is 25 days per annum.
- The salary will be £15,000 per annum (Winchester office).
- You are responsible for funding your own travel to and from your place of work.
- You must conduct yourself in a safe and diligent manner and comply with health and safety policies and procedures.
- You must uphold and promote the company policies and procedures, promoting those specifically to your area of work, including Equality and Diversity and Safeguarding
Sign-up or log in to apply