Brief overview of the role
SCL are recruiting for a Children's Activities Apprentice to join their friendly team. This is a great opportunity to work with children aged 4 -11 whilst working towards a Level 3 NVQ. During your apprenticeship you will be supported by a manager and assessor. Travel between sites will be expected.
Days and shifts TBC Please note; the vacancy is field-based, and you will be expected to travel to more than one place of work. Shifts will vary from 7:30 - 6:30pm
Total hours per week: 37.50
The Playwork Apprentice offers a great opportunity working with children aged 4 - 11 whilst working towards a Level 3 NVQ. As an apprentice you will be part of a dedicated team of Sports Coaches, Children's Activities Leaders and Regional Managers, ensuring a safe and secure environment is provided to children, delivering a dynamic and engaging daily club programme of activities within a Breakfast, Afterschool and Holiday club setting.
This one-year teaching and leadership programme will develop your skills and knowledge of delivering a range of fun activities to primary school children. It will provide you with a vocational pathway into areas of childcare and play work, such as Breakfast and After School Care Club Assistants / Supervisor, Holidays Activities Leader or Care Club Manager.
Key responsibilities and day to day duties:
- Provide and support a safe and secure environment for all children at a range of clubs
- Assist with the managing and maintenance of club ratios and registers of all children attending SCL's clubs
- Build effective relationships with parents and school staff
- Assist with the planning and development of activities ensuring a stimulating environment
- Assist with the management of the club's programme of activities
- Assist with the maintenance of supplies and resources within the school settings
During your apprenticeship you will be supported by a Regional Manager and Apprentice Assessor.
SCL have numerous Play work vacancies they are based in; Woking, Chertsey, Dorking, Bagshot, Slough, Fleet, Hartley Wintney, Hook, Farnham, Guildford, and Basingstoke.
You will be assigned a region as the vacancy is field based you will be expected to travel between sites and also attend training on a weekly basis.
Please note, you will not have a centre office and you will be working in the field in different schools.
- A people person with good communication skills
- Be able to relate to and engage with children between the ages of 4-11
- Be reliable and passionate over everything else as there will be interaction with many different people both internally and in the schools, you work in
- You always place the customer at the heart of everything you do
- You realise by working as team we are stronger together
- You have the ability to communicate and influence at all levels
- Passionate about developing a career leading children's activities
- Be adaptable to different situations as and when they arise
- Undertake an enhanced DBS check
- You will always go the extra mile
- You have a "make it happen" attitude
- You deliver on your promises
- You are a positive role model
- Keen interest in sport and pursuing a career in leading children's activities
- Enjoy working with children
GCSEs (or equivalent) in maths and English A-C / 7-4 desirable but not essential.
Full apprenticeship training will be delivered by SCL Education & Training.
- Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Playwork
- Level 3 Award in Employment Awareness in Active Leisure and Learning
- Level 2 Food Hygiene
- Level 2 Safeguarding and Protecting Children
- Paediatric First Aid
- Employee Rights and Responsibilities (ERR)
- Personal Learning and Thinking Skills (PLTS)
- Functional Skills