Professional Graduate Certificate in Education (PgCE)
This qualification is ideal if you wish to teach in the lifelong learning sector such as a further education college, sixth form, an adult and community education setting or training in the workplace.
You will gain the essential skills and knowledge to enable you to teach and will study an overview of educational theory, in addition to the wider issues affecting the education and training sector. You will also gain practical skills through your teaching practice in an education or training environment.
This programme aims to:
- Explore the roles and responsibilities of teachers, trainers and tutors practising in the Lifelong Learning sector and to evaluate your own position in this.
- Develop your planning, learning, teaching and assessment strategies for groups of learners and individual learners.
- Develop the skills of reflective practice to continually improve your own learning and practice.
- Encourage you to assess own levels of key skills and plan for future improvement via the development of an individual learning plan.
- Give you the opportunity to engage with fellow subject specialist peers to create innovative resources to share across the partnership.
- Explore and respond to issues associated with inclusive practice.
- Explore the concept of continuing professional development and to evaluate the importance of this for teachers, trainers and tutors who are in the full teaching role and who are practising in the Lifelong Learning sector.
- Explore issues associated with wider professional practice, such as quality assurance systems and procedures and quality improvement.
- Explore the role of being a professional within the sector.
- Introduction to Education and Training - Level 5 (20 credits)
- Pedagogy in the Specialist Subject - Level 5 (20 credits)
- Policies, Theories and Research in Learning and Teaching - Level 5 (20 credits)
- Preparing for Professional Practice - Level 6 (30 credits)
- Curriculum Design, Policy and Perception in Education - Level 6 (30 credits).
*Days and times of study are subject to change. Timetables are confirmed at the start of term.
What next after Professional Graduate Certificate in Education (PgCE)?
You could progress to a degree in Education and Training at New College Durham or a university. This would then enable you to access PGCE for primary school teaching or a master's degree. Alternatively you could pursue a career teaching in the lifelong learning sector.