Recreation Assistant Apprentice - Dereham Pool And Fitness - Norfolk
We are no longer receiving applications for this opportunity, but there are plenty more open so please continue searching.
- Intermediate Apprenticeship
- Sport and Fitness
Dereham Leisure Centre part of Parkwood Leisure are looking for a motivated and enthusiastic individual with a passion for health and fitness to join our friendly centre as an Recreation Assistant Apprentice!
30-40 hours per week inc. evenings and weekends
Detailed Job Description:
Dereham Leisure Centre are looking for enthusiastic and energetic candidates to work with them as an Recreation Assistant Apprentice and gain their NVQ Level 2 in Leisure Operations!
This is a 12-15 month apprenticeship, training will be provided to work towards an NVQ level 2 in Leisure Operations and RLSS National Pool Lifeguard Qualification.
This will be a varied role within the club and your main duties will include:
• Preparing activity areas to include the safe setting up/dismantling of equipment and ensuring that all equipment is stored safely and securely when not in use.
• Monitoring and helping to maintain a safe and comfortable leisure centre environment by implementing organisational maintenance schedules.
• Ensuring the highest possible standards of hygiene and cleanliness are maintained by carrying out routine and other cleaning tasks when required.
• Assisting customers with enquires in a friendly and effective manner, proactively developing and maintaining high standards of customer care.
• Resolving customers’ problems, including situations where there is disagreement over the actions and outcomes involved.
• Working as part of a team to ensure the smooth operation of the facility.
• Following Normal and Emergency Operating Procedures.
• Accurately filling in forms or reports relating to their normal duties.
• Taking occasional responsibility for the induction and development of new members of staff.
• In a wet-side facility, supervising the safety of the swimming pool environment and working to prevent accidents and emergencies.
• Meeting the training and development requirements of the job role.
• Working within the job role description at this level, recognising the standards and professional limitations that this provides, referring to appropriate members of staff for guidance and support.
• Maintaining a safe pool environment through excellent lifeguarding practices
• Carrying out regular cleaning and maintenance regimes
• Preparation of activity area and equipment
• Attendance at regular pool training
A Recreation Assistant is responsible for the cleaning, preparation and general safety of areas in a sport and recreation facility. In ‘wet-side’ facilities they will have a key responsibility for the safety of customers in the swimming pool and its surrounding areas. In ‘dry-side’ facilities there may be a greater emphasis on the setting up, taking down and storage of equipment. In both cases Recreation Assistants are the first point of contact with customers and will need strong communication and social skills.
Through work experience, coaching, training and development (both practical and vocational), and from completing a structured learning programme to obtain work related qualifications, develop and demonstrate both an understanding of and capability to carry out the activities of a practising Leisure Assistant / Lifeguard.
To be considered for this role, you must be a strong and confident swimmer.
If you are invited to interview for this role you will be required to complete a swim test as part of the interview process, in order to be considered for the role you must be able to demonstrate you are able to do the following.
• Jump/dive into deep water
• Swim 50 metres in no more than 60 seconds
• Swim 100 metres continuously on front and back in deep water and then tread water for 30 seconds
• Surface dive to floor of pool (deepest part)
• Climb out unaided without ladders/steps and where pool design permits
If you are a strong swimmer, keen to learn and an enthusiastic team player Apply now.
Strong Swimmers - Candidates will be required to work towards their NPLQ (National Pool Lifeguarding
Strong interest in the Sports and Leisure industry
Ability to work within a team
The current National Minimum Wage for an apprentice is £3.50 an hour. This rate applies to apprentices under 19 and those aged 19 or over who are in their first year. Apprentices must be paid at least the minimum wage rate for their age if they are aged 19 or over and have completed their first year. The minimum wage rates are £4.05 an hour for under 18’s, £5.60 an hour for 18-20 year olds, £7.05 for 21 to 24 year olds and £7.50 for 25 years old and over. Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and any training that's part of their apprenticeship.
The key dates are to be used as a guide only. Should the right candidate be found, this vacancy may close earlyApplication closed