Calvert Kielder was founded more than 35 years ago on a vision of a society where disability is not a barrier to opportunity and fulfilment. For many we offer a unique opportunity to share the pleasure of a holiday in the countryside; something that able-bodied people take for granted. Our motto is: “Disability…no limits.” Calvert Kielder is a transformational organisation. We bring positive transformation to the lives of disabled people, their families and friends, instilling greater self-esteem, stronger self-confidence and a more determined sense of purpose through the provision of challenging and Fun outdoor activities.
A carer must also be able to assist with the planning of daily activities, co-ordinating with the activity team to provide a varied and interesting programme. Participation in activities is essential to the position, providing support and care to our guests within the activity setting and where necessary providing assistance to the activity staff to run a session.
All staff are required to undertake an Enhanced DBS Check.
The following is a guide and should not be treated as an exhaustive list
- To share with other staff in the provision of the Calvert Kielder’s Respite Care guest’s personal care needs in a way that respects the dignity of the individual and promotes independence.
- To help in the care of the guest’s physical environment and in general day to day activities of Calvert Kielder.
- To work with the activity team in providing the full range of activities available for the guests of Calvert Kielder.
- Provision of sleepover duties (waking where necessary).
- To support and where necessary and able run activities
- To assist guests who require help with personal care needs, i.e. dressing, undressing, bathing, toileting and feeding etc.
- To oversee the welfare of guests and to help guests with mobility problems and other physical disabilities, including continence care, help in the use and care of medical aids and personal equipment
- To welcome and familiarise guests with the layout of our facilities including procedures. (as per arrival day procedures).
- Help in the promotion of mental and physical activity of guests through accompanying guests on activities, talking with them and the organisation and running of activities including evening activities.
- Where necessary to change and make beds, place clothing neatly away and keep drawers and wardrobes tidy.
- To ensure that communal areas are kept clean and tidy at all times.
- To set tables, serve meals, feed guests who need help, prepare light meals / snacks, wash up if necessary, tidy and clear dining tables.
- To read and write reports, take part in staff meetings / handovers and attend training activities / courses as identified.
- To have a good knowledge of the care procedures / policies in place at Calvert Kielder.
- To observe the Health and Safety Regulations.
- To go on escort duty, and any other reasonable duties within Calvert Kielder’s requirements.
- To fully understand the confidential nature of the work and deal with any information in a sensitive manner.
- To participate in the Performance Review Process.
- Undertaking other duties not specifically stated which from time to time are necessary due to operational requirement.
- Strong organisational skills and ability to work on their own initiative.
- The ability to work with and manage remote workers.
- The ability to work as part of a team as well as be able to self-motivate when under pressure.
- Willingness to learn and develop new ideas.
- Positive and enthusiastic “can do” attitude.
- Ability to take constructive criticism, and apply it.
- Disciplined, hardworking and prepared to go the extra mile.
- A strong, supportive team player who has a healthy sense of competition.
- Mature, flexible and professional.
- Excellent personal standards, including time keeping and personal appearance.
- Level 2 Diploma in Care
- Level 3 Diploma in Adult Care
- Level 4 Diploma in Adult Care
- Food Hygiene Certificate
- First Aid Qualification
- Full Driving Licence.
Place & Hours of work
The position is based at Calvert Kielder, Kielder Water & Forest Park, Falstone, Hexham, Northumberland, NE48 1BS.
Hours of work based on 40 hours a week, working within an annualised hours scheme
Once placed you will be required to complete a DBS (we are able to assist with this).
Starting salaries and hours of work vary but the following is indicative
£16,000 - £19,500
On site accommodation available