Herbert Smith Freehills is one of the world’s leading professional services businesses, bringing together the best people across our 27 offices, to meet all your legal services needs globally. We can help you realise opportunities while managing risk.
Understanding your requirements, objectives and operating environment is important to us - we listen and take time to do this. You have ready access to our deep global sectoral expertise, as well as our local market understanding, to help you achieve your commercial objectives.
Operating as one global team, we use innovative systems and processes to ensure your work is delivered intelligently, efficiently and reliably. We care about the markets and communities we work within and constantly strive to make them better.
What does it all add up to? When you work with Herbert Smith Freehills, you are partnering with a world-class and diverse team of client focused professionals who can ensure you achieve your best results.
At Herbert Smith Freehills, we aim to be the leading global law firm for the attraction, promotion and retention of women as part of our commitment to inclusion across the spectrum of diversity.
Working for the Revenue Department under the direction of the Revenue Operations Manager your contribution will ensure that our revenue processes and working capital profile is optimised at all times. The department is responsible for the conversion of work in progress (WIP) to cash. The role will be primarily operational and based within the Revenue Department.
Training and Development as well as Project liaison will be provided additionally by the Revenue Projects Manager.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Ensuring that invoices raised correctly and in a timely basis (within the agreed Service Level Agreement) and are paid promptly by the client
- Understand clients billing and collection processes and ensuring that invoices are produced, submitted and collected in a manner which is appropriate for the Firm and client, which facilitates payment with minimum queries and time delay;
- Drafting & checking draft bills (breakdowns of proposed bills submitted for partner approval)
- Processing, collation of bills including: time/disbursement write-offs, time/disbursement transfers/cancellations and reissues
- Providing support to the Revaluation Helpdesk, fielding queries and providing assistance to the business.
- Direct contact with clients regarding unpaid invoices via telephone/ email correspondence maintaining records on our internal systems (NEXUM / EXPERT).
- Liaison with partners and associates regarding queried debts, unpaid invoices
- Dealing with internal and external queries regarding invoices and the working capital profile.
- Running various revenue related reports and enquiries- bill listing, WIP reports, outstanding prebill reports etc.
- Identify and help to resolve exposures, issues and bottlenecks in the smooth conversion of working capital into cash;
- Working with key stakeholders by facilitating resolution to complex queries forwarded to the Revenue Section;
- Ad-hoc tasks relating to the reporting and presentation of standard WIP/billing/debtor related information; with an emphasis around reduction of working capital lock up through stakeholder interaction and consultation.
- Working within the revenue process stream at an operational level, ensuring that it is maintained and performance is matched with expectation
- Maintaining a good understanding of the roles performed by all within the Revenue Department.
- Liaise with the Revenue Projects Manager to ensure that operational risk is understood and managed within the department.
- Closely liaising with the London Revenue Manager, Revenue Project Manager and Head of Revenue ensuring that all have a good understanding of current financial performance and to ensure that the Revenue Department provides a consolidated service.
- Produce accurate and timely reporting (where required).
- Inspire confidence by being able to demonstrate ready knowledge of key working capital exposures and issues.
- Assist with the administrative responsibilities within the department i..e Daily invoice reconciliations, filing and management of incoming post.
- Set up Agreed Rates and time/ disbursement revaluation across all North offices on Expert on a timely basis (within the agreed SLA) to ensure the bills are issued with the correct rates as per engagement letter.
- Set up Standard Rates and time/ disbursement revaluation across all North offices.
- Timekeeper Rates Bulk upload for new E-billing Clients
- Timekeeper Rates weekly report to identify new joiners/ Rank change to upload on the E-billing system.
- Understand the Timekeeper process for current E-billing clients.
Occasional duties will include:
- Tracking invoices
- Checking reports against postings
- Network wide distribution of reports
- Providing cover for colleagues
- Producing ad hoc reports
- Assist in the administration aspects of the department
- Excellent working knowledge of computers and Microsoft Office
- Strong analytical skills
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Confident and dynamic personality
- Strong creative outlook
- Takes pride in their work and positively impacts those around them
- Inspires confidence by consistently delivering quality work
- Maintains composure under pressure by finding ways to manage their reactions to challenging situations
- Behaves consistently with the firm’s values and brand and inspires this in others
Connects and Collaborates with People
- Takes an active interest in others and gets to know the people they interact with
- Treats people with respect and in a fair and consistent way
- Adopts a positive communication style, even when challenged by others
Contributes to the Success of Others
- Maintains an awareness of the firm’s purpose, objectives and structure
- Recognises how their work contributes to and affects the work of others, and prioritises and communicates accordingly
- Identifies opportunities to assist others and readily volunteers their help
Enhances the Client Experience
- Finds ways to enhance the experience of the firm’s clients through their daily tasks.
- Shows a willingness to go the extra mile to deliver great service.
- Goes above and beyond to contribute to the success of the firm
- Pays attention to the quality and accuracy of their work
- Suggests new ideas or ways of doing things in a confident, constructive and sensitive way
5 GCSE's grades A*-C/9-4 or equivalent (including English Language and Maths)
92% of QA Apprentices secure permanent employment after finishing their apprenticeship. Additionally, there may be opportunities to undertake further apprenticeship training as many of our programs offer on-going development tracks.
QA’s apprenticeships are funded by the Education & Skills Funding Agency (ESFA), an executive agency of the Department for Education.
To be eligible for a Government funded apprenticeship you must have lived in the UK or European Economic Area (EEA) for the last 3 consecutive years.