School Leavers Programme
A new 12-week, full-time intensive drawing course designed for a small cohort of students who want to develop foundational creative skills and their powers of visual reasoning.
Broaden your creative thinking and problem-solving skills through an immersive fine art course tailored to school leavers. Over one term, students will become part of a creative community and learn how drawing can be the starting point for all creative disciplines. Classes include tuition on painting, printmaking and sculpture.
This structured, practice-led course has been created to build student’s confidence in visual literacy, and to stimulate links between the arts and other disciplines, preparing students for university and professional life.
Taught by the Royal Drawing School’s renowned faculty of practicing artists, students will acquire technical, observational, and communication skills through sustained drawing practice. Visual alertness will be honed by learning how to look with concentration and record and interpret the observed world. This proficiency in rendering visual ideas will build student’s confidence, and create transferable skills that aid effective communication across the arts and sciences.
This course is ideally suited for students continuing their art education, and those who may not be heading to art school but want a foundation of creative and visual skills.
Benefits of the course
- Learn foundational skills-based drawing techniques from an experienced faculty
- Join a diverse but small cohort of students
- Have space to decide where you want to take your further education or professional development
- Choose courses from a wide range of mediums, including drawing into painting, sculpture, illustration and printmaking
- Cultivate your personal sense of creativity and problem-solving abilities
- Apply your visual analytical skill to other disciplines
- Develop visual knowledge by building your own syllabus from a wide array of classes
- Interrogate our complex visual world and explore diverse viewpoints
By committing to one intensive term after leaving school, students can explore the different choices available to them whilst developing fundamental interdisciplinary skills. This shorter course format is aimed to fit flexibly into competing priorities of school leavers, such as travel, job and course applications, and work experience.
Who is this course for?
The short intensive nature of the course will benefit a range of students, including:
- School leavers who are unresolved about their future path
- Students who already have a confirmed place at university
- Those who have a job or apprenticeship lined up
- Those who wanted to study art at school but prioritised other subjects
Start dates & pilot term
Students are invited to apply for this course on a termly basis.
We will be running a pilot in Summer Term 2022, beginning 19 April. The pilot will be a slightly condensed course of 11 weeks and will not be subject to the usual fees and application process. Applications for the pilot term are now are open.
The course will officially launch in the Autumn Term, starting September 2022. Applications will open on 21 March and close on 23 May 2022.
We will be running a virtual open evening on Tuesday 22nd March from 5.30pm, Please click here to register.