Software Degree Apprentice - Bolton
We are no longer receiving applications for this opportunity, but there are plenty more open so please continue searching.
- Degree Apprenticeships
- Armed Forces
- Software Developer
MBDA offers a four-year programme for Software Apprentices at its brand new manufacturing site in Bolton to join the Test Software Engineering Team, whilst studying part time for a fully funded degree in Digital & Technology Solutions BSc (Hons) at a Greater Manchester based university.
You will gain experience working with a number of programming languages and tools, working with different development methodologies, a number of test strategies, varying lifecycles, and more; ensuring your time with Software Engineering is an engaging, enriching and rewarding experience.
What you will be doing
Through a combination of on-the-job technical training and time studying at university, Software Apprentices will develop the skills to effectively design, create, and test software.
Working closely with other teams and departments, you will work through a variety of stages in the software development process, covering anything from embedded systems to front end software. This software will be developed on a range of platforms, including Linux and Windows, utilising C/C++, LabView and Java. You will also be ensuring the functional and technical robustness of deliverables, and will be responsible for the creation and maintenance of documentation.
You will also have the opportunity to work with other departments, including Operations placements on the shop floor, to increase understanding of MBDA.
As well as challenging placements you will have the opportunity to undertake developmental training:
- An induction event that allows you the opportunity to interact with fellow new-starters, and integrate into the business
- 2 x 1 week-long residential courses in Wales to develop skills, such as team working, business communication, presentation and project management skills.
- 2 two day career development workshop at the end of the scheme to assist you moving from an apprentice into the business.
You’ll be provided with formal advice and guidance throughout the scheme by HR, learning & development, managers across the business and a trained mentor.
What are the benefits for you?
- Fully funded Digital Technology Solutions degree, specialising in Software Engineering
- 5 days per year paid study time
- On the job training and technical support
- Fantastic opportunities to bring your technical knowledge to schools as a STEM ambassador
- A range of personal development opportunities
- Flexible working hours
- 25 days paid holiday plus public holidays.
- 5 days paid study days to prepare for exams, per year
What’s great about joining this team?
- A breadth of experience and support is available in the department, including: a buddy to welcome you into MBDA; access to the mentoring scheme; and regular informal meetings with other Early Careers members and managers.
- Working in an open plan working environment, in systems laboratories, and in a state of the art manufacturing facility.
Enter the annual Software Engineering Team Challenge, which offers the chance to collaborate with others in the team to tackle a demanding and engaging software problem
What we are looking for from you
Candidates must have a minimum of 120 UCAS points through either:
- BTEC Level 3 extended Diploma (DDM) in Computing/IT based subject OR
- 3 A-Levels, with one in Maths and two others within any subject.
- GCSE Maths and English at Grade C / Level 4 or above
- A dedicated attitude and be comfortable taking the initiative.
- A willingness to learn and apply newly gained knowledge quickly.
- To be capable of working as part of a team and individually.
- Ability to balance workload between university and work commitments.
What you would get:
- £14,250 starting salary with an annual increase of up to £4000 dependant on your performance in placements and university. Flexible working hours, paid overtime if required, 25 paid days holiday, a comprehensive pension scheme, employee funded voluntary private healthcare, sporting activities, fantastic site facilities, company bonus schemes and superb learning and development opportunities.
Please note that in order to apply for MBDA UK opportunities you will need to be eligible for SC (Secret Level) UK Security Clearance.
Are you a member of LinkedIn? If so, you are invited to join our LinkedIn Group to view future MBDA UK opportunities and news. LinkedIn Group name: Engineering UK (Defence)Application closed