Founded in 2002, World of Books is a circular economy, a for-profit company that supports charities and protects the planet by enabling more goods to be reused. We are pioneers in the re-use and recycling of unwanted books, recycling about 80 million books each year, equivalent to around half a million trees.
We achieve this through three direct-to-consumer e-commerce businesses, supported by our own technology.
Find out more about the World of Books Group here:
World of Books:
Is the UK’s largest seller of used books online; selling to over 190 countries through our own website, marketplaces and wholesale partners. World of Books inventory is in excess of 4 million books, purchased from UK charities in return for payment and saving their waste disposal costs.
For those books we cannot sell, we ensure they are recycled and turned into products such as newspaper, cardboard packaging and tissue products.
The focus of this role is to develop into a competent, qualified, programmer to support the IT Director in the development and support of software, through working with key IT software professionals and supported by a mentor.
Training will be provided, leading to a BCS certified qualification, and delivered via block release.
The apprentice will report directly to the company’s IT Project Manager.
This role is fundamental to the future success of the group, working alongside and learning from senior IT professionals. It offers a substantial career development opportunity.
Should the candidate prove their capability in this role, it is anticipated that opportunities to progress within the company, alongside the achievement of higher qualifications will be made available.
- Actively support software projects including planning & reviews
- Help in the support & maintenance of existing software tools
- Produce and support in the running of appropriate tests
- Ensure standards and best practice are understood and followed
- Design and code software solutions to address business needs
- Support with integrating the developed solutions into a live environment
Reporting and Monitoring:
- Provide and present monthly reports on progress with activities conducted via the apprenticeship scheme
- Attend training sessions as planned, complete assignments on time and achieve satisfactory feedback from training providers/assessors for the duration of the study period
Health and Safety:
- Comply with, and make a positive contribution to, all company policy, rules and procedures for Health & Safety and current H&S legislation and best practice.
- Ensure that all employees within own area of responsibility know, understand and comply with all company policy, rules and procedures for Health & Safety and current H&S legislation and best practice.
- The successful individual will have a strong mathematical, logical background and have the ability to achieve a relevant professional qualification
- They will also have gained some experience and/or learnt how to code
- They will be expected to work in an Agile methodology & have a focused mind-set
Desired qualities, skills and knowledge:
- Enthusiasm for software, coding and willing to learn
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Good organisation skills and be willing to learn
- Ability to work well in a team environment
- High attention to detail with problem-solving skills
- Ambition, strong work ethic and open to new ideas
- Have an understanding / confident base knowledge of Java
- Have experience/awareness of Object-Oriented Programming and Relational Databases
- Not required, but desirable: an experience of PostgresSQL and/or MySQL
- Basic understanding/awareness of the Java Spring Framework
- Knowledge of software design patterns and software development concepts, such as MVC
- 5 GCSE’s (or equivalent) in any subject at grades A-C
- GCSE Maths (or equivalent) at grade A-C
- GCSE English (or equivalent) at grade D or above
We are open to considering different patterns of working and the job holder will also need to be flexible, both in terms of hours worked in peak periods and also the ability to attend training course via block release incorporating travel to training venues in London.
You'll start on £15,000 per annum, with the opportunity to increase upto £17,000 per annum.
QA’s apprenticeships are funded by the Education & Skills Funding Agency (ESFA), an executive agency of the Department for Education.
To be eligible for a Government funded apprenticeship you must have lived in the UK or European Economic Area (EEA) for the last 3 consecutive years.