The primary role of a Software Tester is to ensure that software operates as intended. Testers typically design and prepare test plans and conduct software testing as appropriate to ensure that software is fit for purpose. They document and report the results of testing activities.
The apprenticeship is run in partnership with our training provider, Firebrand training. It is a 16-month programme which offers a blended learning approach. You will have 15 residential training days (delivered in Bedfordshire) over the course of your apprenticeship, accommodation and food will be covered. To support alongside this residential training, you will learn additional content through online learning and webinars.
You have Apprenticeship Coach support throughout the apprenticeship and your learning is also complemented by on-the-job training on real projects at CGI!
During the course of your apprenticeship, you can expect to study modules such as the below, including others!
• Testing Tools & Testing Concepts
• ISTQB Foundation Software Tester
The Job Role
Due to the nature of our business, you work on ‘projects’. This means you have the opportunity to work across a wide range of roles, industries and locations, there is no ‘typical day’. The best thing about joining us is that while you may start in one of area, the opportunity to move internally is huge, so you can take control of your career from your first day.
To support you, you will have designated managers who will look after you on a day-to-day basis and be on hand to support you with your career development and professional conduct at CGI. You will also have a ‘Buddy’ which is a current or graduated student of a school leaver programme to help you with anything else you may need.
Location of the role
We recruit apprentices into our Reading office. As CGI is a consultancy, your projects could be based from other locations asides from your base location, and you should therefore be prepared for travel in your role.
• To have or be predicated to achieve at least 64 UCAS points across two A-Levels (or equivalent) at grade C or above (excluding General Studies) including a computing/IT/STEM subject gained in the same academic year or a completed Advanced IT Apprenticeship.
• A minimum of five A*-C (or new grading of 4-9) GCSEs (or equivalent), including English, Maths and Science. For the IT focused programmes, your A-Levels (or equivalent e.g. Scottish Nationals, BTEC etc) should include an IT related subject, unless you can show strong technical (programming/development) ability through work experience or extra-curricular activities.
• Our School Leaver Programmes are designed for candidates with A-Levels (or equivalent e.g. Scottish Nationals, BTEC etc) who do not yet have a degree. If you are working towards a degree, or already have one, please see our Industrial Placement and Graduate Programmes. Unfortunately, we cannot progress candidates for the apprenticeship if you hold any of the following qualifications: Undergraduate / Masters Degree, HND / HNC or Certificates of Higher Education in an IT related subject.
Please note: We will need to see original certificates for all qualifications. Due to UK Government security requirements we are only able to accept applications from candidates who have the unrestricted right to live and work in the United Kingdom, and have lived in the United Kingdom for a minimum of 5 years with no breaks of 28 days or more.
If you have any questions regarding our entry requirements, please contact us
Ready to be part of something amazing?
If you’ve got what it takes to succeed with CGI, we’re here to support you all the way.