Solicitor Apprenticeship, Charles Russell Speechlys, London
- Sponsored Degrees
- Level 7
- London remove
Location: 5 Fleet Place, London, EC4M 7RD
Hours per week: 35 hours
Starting salary: £18,000
Total vacancies: 2
Closing date: Saturday 10 March 2018
Application method: Online application
Interview date: During the Easter holidays, exact date tbc
Start date: September 2018
Charles Russell Speechlys is recruiting two Solicitor Apprentices to start in September 2018. We are looking for ambitious and hard-working candidates who want to pursue a career in law without attending university full time to do so. Our solicitor apprentices will be involved in many of the day to day tasks of a trainee lawyer, obtaining experience from different groups whilst attending university part time.
The scheme is open to candidates who do not already have a law degree or who haven’t already completed an apprenticeship up to level 7. Candidates should have a strong academic and extra-curricular record and should be predicted to achieve at least BBB at A-Level (or equivalent), as well as 8 GCSE’s grades A*-C including English and Maths.
Solicitor Apprentices will work in our offices based in London for 35 hours per week. Four days will be spent working in the groups and one day allocated to study. They will spend the first two years in our Real Estate and Corporate groups (one year in each group) where they will work on a number of key tasks as detailed below. After the first two years, the Solicitor Apprentices will rotate through different areas of the business, experiencing our broad range of practice areas.
You will have one day per week allocated to study where you will often be required to attend classes at City, University of London. Throughout the six-year programme you will take exams and assessments to meet the requirements of the LLB degree in Legal Practice and Solicitors Regulation Authority’s (SRA) centralised assessments. All university fees will be funded by the firm.
If you pass all the required assessments to meet the solicitor apprenticeship standard you will be admitted to the Roll of Solicitors, subject to the SRA’s usual pre-qualification checks.
We will discuss with you what roles are available at Charles Russell Speechlys on qualification and it is our hope that all our apprentices will remain with us as newly qualified solicitors.
Key tasks (this is a broad but not exhaustive list)
· Drafting documents and correspondence
· Assisting partners and associates with various tasks
· Liaising with clients, other law firms and third parties including Local Authorities, Companies House etc.
· Conducting legal research
· As you gain more experience, you’ll be given more responsibility such as attending client meetings with your supervisor and running parts of files
· Drafting Board minutes and other corporate governance documents
· Pre and post completion transaction assistance
· Preparing Companies House forms, such as to appoint a director
· Compiling and indexing documents
· Performing company searches
· Data room administration
Real Estate department
· Reviewing and amending basic lease agreements and licences for alterations
· Obtaining land searches and planning permissions
· Preparing first draft reports on title or leases
· Drafting Land Registry forms
· Liaising with the Land Registry and solicitors on the other side of a transaction
· Strong communication skills, both verbal and written
· Takes responsibility for delegated work tasks and demonstrates initiative
· Excellent organisational and time management skills
· Ability to multi-task and prioritise effectively
· Accuracy and excellent attention to detail
· Well-presented and professional
· Computer literateSign-up or log in to apply