Solicitor Apprenticeship - Marks and Spencer PLC (London)
We are no longer receiving applications for this opportunity, but there are plenty more open so please continue searching.
- Distance Learning
- Level 7
- Degree Apprenticeships
Vacancy Short Description - Why should I apply?
This is an exciting opportunity for an ambitious individual to join a major retailer’s in-house legal department and work with an experienced team.
At the end of six years, if you pass all the required assessments to meet the solicitor apprenticeship standard you will qualify as a solicitor, subject to usual industry pre-qualification checks.
Vacancy Full Description - What work will I be doing? What duties and responsibilities will I have?
Areas of work:
Over the six year period, our solicitor apprentice will gain training and experience across all areas of the in-house Legal Department at M&S, covering both contentions and non-contentious work.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
Our solicitor apprentice will be given training, guidance and experience necessary to enable development of key skills to become a solicitor, including:
- Providing general and administrative support to the solicitors and paralegals
- Assisting with drafting legal documents and correspondence
- Carrying out basic legal research
- Carrying out any photocopying, binding and preparing trial bundles, as required
- Liaising with business areas and responding to telephone queries
- Establishing and maintaining effective and professional relationships with internal business clients
- Carrying out basic searches under supervision, including Trade Mark, Company and Property searches
- Assisting the team members with their workloads, subject to close supervision
As they gain more experience, the solicitor apprentice will be given more responsibility such as attending client meetings and running parts of projects/cases
The ideal candidate will have the confidence to deal with various individuals and groups. They will have the ability to solve problems, use judgment, reasoning and will be able to respond to challenge. They will be supported to undertake recognised qualifications whilst gaining invaluable on-the-job experience. They will need to be a team player, reliable, adaptable, conscientious, have attention to detail and able to work to instructions.
Weekly Wage £:
£20,000 per annum
Working Week (total hours plus shift pattern for an average week):
40 hours per week
Four days will be spent working in the Legal Department with one day allocated to study.
Who is the employer? Where will I be working?
Marks and Spencer PLC
The Solicitor Apprentice role is based at our headquarters in Paddington Basin, London.
The work on the legal team encompasses property, litigation, regulatory, IP, employment, commercial and IT work. There may also be a secondment to a London law firm during the six year period
Training to be provided?
- Job-specific training through working alongside experienced staff
- An LLB in Legal Practice and the Legal Practice Course elements required to sit the Solicitors Qualifying Exams.
- Possible Enhancements
The academic and competency training will be through City, University of London and CILEx Law School. They will attend City, University of London, one day a month.
Legal services organisations are increasingly using CILEx Law School and City, University of London training to develop staff into fee earning roles including through the new legal apprenticeships. For more information please visit our websites: https://www.city.ac.uk/law/courses/continuing-professional-development/solicitor-apprenticeships - www.cilexlawschool.ac.uk
Throughout the six-year programme our Solicitor Apprentice will take exams and assessments to meet the requirements of the LLB degree in Legal Practice and Solicitors Regulation Authority’s (SRA) centralised assessments.
We will review your application against the criteria below when considering your suitability for the role, only applications which clearly demonstrate with evidence that they meet the essential criteria will be short-listed for interview. Desirable criteria are those that enhance your capacity to do the job but can be acquired once in employment.
You must provide evidence to demonstrate you meet the criteria within your application form to be short-listed.
- Ability to work with technology
- Ability to work in a business environment
- Customer service skills
- Hands on & Practical ability
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel and Use of Email/Internet
- Team Player
- Attention to detail
- Good communication skills (written and verbal)
- Meeting deadlines
- Understanding of confidentiality requirements
- Mature attitude
- Works well under pressure
- Uses initiative and is innovative in approach to work
- Organised and methodical
Minimum Entry Qualifications:
- 8 GCSE grades *A to C or equivalent are essential
- 3 A Levels grade BBB (predicted or actual)
If you will have a long commute, then please carefully consider the cost and time involved before applying for the role.
- Our solicitor apprentice is responsible for funding their own travel to and from the place of work.
- Our solicitor apprentice must conduct themselves in a safe and diligent manner and comply with health and safety policies and procedures.
- Our solicitor apprentice must uphold and promote the company policies and procedures, promoting those specifically to the area of work, including Equality and Diversity and Safeguarding.