Work, earn and learn at one of the UKs Top Employers! You can gain a Law Degree and qualify as a Solicitor, with no student debt, all whilst earning a competitive salary which rises year on year. We are offering a 6-year Solicitor Apprenticeship at level 7, and you can apply to start in September 2021 after you have completed your a-levels (or equivalent).
At Weightmans, people are the integral part of our culture and business, and your success is our success! Our investment in your career is because we believe you to be our future leaders.
During the six years, you will have the opportunity to experience a range of departments covering different areas of law, with a programme tailored to your requirements and interests. As a full service law firm, we cover many areas of law and want to give our solicitor apprentices a wide range of experience. You will learn about legal services and our firm practices by completing legal tasks which will become more complex throughout the programme.
As you progress with your apprenticeship you will build a portfolio of tasks completed and experience gained whilst working in legal teams within the business. You will be learning on the job with a robust support network including your own personal Weightmans mentor and a dedicated buddy.
You will complete your part-time study with BPP University Law School and upon successful completion, you will be a qualified solicitor with an LLB degree in Law and Legal Practice. One day each week will be dedicated to off the job learning to ensure that you can maintain a good work/life balance.
We don't want our future lawyers to only be technically excellent, we also want them to have the skills necessary to understand our clients' businesses and our own. Therefore, you will also complete our bespoke learning and development programme throughout the six years, which has been designed to develop your core professional and business skills. You will cover areas including digital literacy, marketing, change management, law as a business and project management, in a varied programme which will help to prepare you for your career as a solicitor and enable you to provide the best service to our clients.
Stage 1 – years 1 and 2
- Apprenticeship study includes: English legal system, contract law, tort or land law, client care, legal research and public law.
- Your day to day job will be: two placements in two different legal teams where you will learn about our business practices and handle legal tasks.
- We will also train you in: how a law firm works, personal effectiveness, finance, Microsoft Office and time management.
Stage 2 – years 3 and 4
- Apprenticeship study includes: criminal law, tort or land law, company law, trusts law, professional conduct, advocacy and negotiation.
- Your day to day job will be: two further legal placements and the opportunity to work within a business services team such as finance, IT or marketing.
- We will also train you in: understanding our clients, project management, pricing, presentation skills and negotiation.
Stage 3 – years 5 and 6
- Apprenticeship study includes: property law & practice, dispute resolution, wills & administration of estates, criminal law & practice. You will complete your Solicitor Qualifying Exams in year 6.
- Your day to day job will be: completing more complex work in two final placements and make a decision of where you would like to qualify as a solicitor.
- We will also train you in: business development, problem solving, decision making, horizon scanning and design thinking.
You have obtained, or been predicted to obtain, 128 UCAS points. Please note that if you narrowly miss out we would still encourage you to apply as we will judge each application on its own merits and this may be adjusted based on personal circumstances.