Substation Craftsperson, Electricity Transmission (Advanced Apprenticeship) - National Grid - Various locations
Not taking applications
- Advanced Apprenticeship
- Mechanic and Automotive
- Logistics and Warehousing Vacancies
- Health & Safety
- Employability Skills
- Welding & Metalwork
- Gas, Heating & Hot Water
- Cleaning and Environmental Services
- Facility Services
- Electronic Engineering
Substation Craftsperson, Electricity Transmission (Advanced Apprenticeship)
- Suffolk & Essex
- Hampshire & The Isle of Wight
Closing Date: 10th March 2019
You must have or are predicted to gain Grade C/4 or above in GCSE English Language & Maths PLUS one of the following:
- 3 other GCSE’s - must be in IT, Technical Drawing, Engineering, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Science, English Literature, Geography or History (Grade C or above)or
- Engineering diploma/qualification i.e. BTEC (Pass or above)
To apply for this role, you must be willing to learn to drive and agree to secure a valid full UK driving licence within 12 months after joining the programme or as soon as possible after your 17th birthday.
This role will require peripatetic working, which means that you will be working within a team with no base location & will be required to travel across multiple sites.
You may be required to work at heights and/or in confined spaces
This role requires full colour vision
About the Role
As an Advanced Apprentice Substation Craftsperson, you would carry out maintenance, repair and monitoring of high voltage substation equipment, under the supervision of a specified team. Ensuring that National Grid can meet its requirements for safety, efficiency and reliability.
As an apprentice you could find yourself working on overhead lines or underground cables, and in electrical substations, where switchgear controls the voltage levels and the protection of the network.
Whichever area you work in you will learn to carry out risk assessments, diagnose faults and make repairs, using electrical theories and your technical knowledge to maintain the integrity of the network. You may be required to drive vehicles equipped with tools and material s to job sites, and apply your mechanical knowledge to operate equipment such as elevated platforms, winches, ground-breakers and tensioning devices.
This role is physically demanding and you will need to have a head for heights as well as a good level of physical fitness. You should be prepared to work outside, by day or night, in all weather conditions, either alone or as part of a team.
The power industry demands very high standards of safety so you will need to take a disciplined and responsible approach to your work, follow instructions and comply with stringent safety rules, policies and procedures.
Key Tasks and Areas of Work
Whilst on programme, Apprentices can typically expect to;
- Adhere to safety practices and procedures, carry out risk assessments, check the condition of the work site
- Shadow experienced Craftsperson’s and engage in on site work according to skill level
- Use electrical/mechanical knowledge and skills to install, maintain and dismantle a wide variety of high voltage plant and apparatus including transformers, switchgear, cable terminations and other associated equipment.
- Be an active member of the working party once at the required skill level and be responsible for other members of the working party carrying out maintenance and repairs on the system whilst working under the safety document
- Working as part of a larger team that is responsible for a zone/geographical area
- Complete work according to outage restrictions and targets
- Apply electrical theories and principles to use electronic equipment to carry out diagnostic fault finding procedures
The Power Network Craftsperson Advanced Apprenticeship is a level 3 programme that has been designed to provide Apprentices with the skills and knowledge, to work in the specialist area of expertise, within the power industry and to develop Apprentices into skilled craftsperson within Electricity Transmission Owner (ETO).
Apprentices will liaise with other departments such as planning and go to other zones/geographical areas to develop their skills.Sign-up or log in to apply