Switch and transmission Engineer
Duration: 3 years
Location: Various (Norwich, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Manchester, Bangor, Cambridge, Croydon, London, Ilford, Oban)
Do you want to make a real difference to peoples’ lives? To help shape the way people live and communicate with each other both now and in the future? To learn new skills on the job, gain professional qualifications and build yourself the perfect career? Then you’re looking in the right place as the apprenticeship opportunities at BT could help you do just that.
Taking responsibility for all work that takes part in the BT telephone exchange you will be involved in the build, repair, maintenance and auditing of exchange equipment. This is to help us supply the services our customers and other organisations want and need such as voice calls, internet and data and IT services. It forms part of the network and platforms that supply things such as BT sport for example.
Tasks will be allocated through a job allocation process and system which will ensure BT’s customer commitments are met. Work will be completed to agreed BT processes and guidance ensuring excellent quality of workmanship and high standards especially from a regulatory and Health & Safety perspective.
Suggestions for improvements and fresh thinking and proactivity are encouraged.
5 GCSE’s at A-C or equivalents, including Maths and English.
Full UK driving Licence.
Technical Knowledge and Competencies
- PC Literate.
- Attention to detail.
- The role is technical and will require you to work with various different systems and processes.
- Formal courses and on the job training will be provided to enable excellence in engineering infrastructure which is at the heart of BT’s service offering and from which BT is able to grow.
- Making use of strong IT literacy skills and knowledge and understanding of systems applications to improve and enhance your own, the team and ultimately BT’s effectiveness.
- At the completion of the apprenticeship you will have accrued the skills and experience to conduct work as a multi skilled engineer in the internal environment, taking ownership for and pride in all work that is completed in the exchange.
- You will be trained to install equipment in both BT’s legacy and 21st Century networks, specialising in voice over IP (VOIP), Broadband and Fibre optics. This will involve considerable manual working as well as computer based diagnostics.
Professional, interpersonal and business Skills
- Communicate effectively and work well independently as well as part of a wider team of engineers
- Apply structured techniques to problem solving
- Apply strong interpersonal skills when dealing with colleagues, customers and clients
- Flexible attitude
- Ability to perform under pressure
- A commitment to quality and a thorough approach to work
- Logical thinking and creative approach to problem solving.
- The engineer will be required to have high levels of productivity and quality and so attention to detail is very important as is the ability to learn and adapt quickly to different scenarios/experiences.
- You will be trained to be a proactive driver of the processes and ways of working within your team, looking at how you can continuously improve things in both your own work and also that of the team taking on additional projects and lead roles.
- You will take a pro-active interest in your personal development and be committed to learn from internal and external based courses as well as skilled and experienced colleagues and convert the skills learnt into productive work.