Technical Support - Transmission and Capacity Management
Duration: 3 years
Do you want to make a real difference to peoples’ lives? To help shape the way people live and communicate with each other both now and in the future? To learn new skills on the job, gain professional qualifications and build yourself the perfect career? Then you’re looking in the right place as the apprenticeship opportunities at BT could help you do just that.
The transmission network is the “pipes” that carry services such as internet traffic and our BT Vision TV signals all over the UK. Its growth and evolution is key to the rollout of strategic services such as BT Infinity and BT Sport. The role is to make sure that network is fully integrated and services our customers want are transmitted across the network in a quality manner.
You would be dealing with field engineers and suppliers to ensure that transmission kit is configured correctly and built in to the live network in a quality and controlled manner. To do this you will learn about different transmission technologies within BT’s network and the computing and records systems that support this. The role is office based but occasional visits to network sites or meetings may be required, so a driving licence is desired, although not essential.
Some roles will be looking at the demands placed on the network through customer use, making sure we can always meet the usage levels of our customers. You would have to analyse current traffic levels on our network as well as forecast potential future volumes. You may need to plan for new capacity needs such as meeting the need for new hardware or IP addresses.
5 GCSE’s at A-C or equivalents, including Maths and English.
Technical Knowledge and Competencies
- PC Literate
- Attention to detail.
- The role is technical and will require you to work with various different systems and processes.
- Formal courses and on the job training will be provided to provide you with the technical capability required.
- Making use of strong IT literacy skills and knowledge and understanding of systems applications to improve and enhance your own, the team and ultimately BT’s effectiveness.
Professional, interpersonal and business Skills
- Communicate effectively and work well independently as well as part of a wider team of engineers
- Apply structured techniques to problem solving
- Apply strong interpersonal skills when dealing with colleagues, customers and clients
- Flexible attitude
- A commitment to quality and a thorough approach to work
- Logical thinking and creative approach to problem solving.