Trainee Commis Chef Apprentice - Beales Hotels - Westlodge Park
We are no longer receiving applications for this opportunity, but there are plenty more open so please continue searching.
- Intermediate Apprenticeship
- Hospitality and Catering
The role of Trainee Commis Chef is a junior role within the Kitchen.
The main function of this role is to assist/support the Commis Chef, Chef de Partie and any other members of the Kitchen team in all relevant aspects of running the kitchen.
min. 30 - 35 hours pw working 5 out of 7 days incl weekends& bank hols
Detailed Job Description:
Specific duties will include, but not be limited to:
• Learning how all relevant areas of the kitchen operate;
• Assisting in setting up and preparing kitchen for daily food service;
• Assisting in cold preparation, e.g. washing, peeling, preparing fruit and vegetables (and in the longer term assist in the preparation of meat & fish)
• Cleaning the kitchen, including washing up (filling/emptying sinks and dishwashers), general cleaning etc.
• Putting away stores – dry, fresh and refrigerated products;
• Be pro-active in ongoing stock rotation of kitchen stores/food supplies
• working towards assisting the Commis Chef and Chef de Partie in running a kitchen section, as required
• positively promoting kitchen standards.
This role will mainly have day to day contact with other members of the Kitchen team, as well as some contact with Restaurant and Conference/ Banqueting team members.
• Good communication skills;
• ability to work well as part of a team;
• good customer care skills;
• Resilience and commitment to work hard in an often highly pressurised environment;
• Passionate about using and cooking with fresh produce;
• Have the drive and determination to work in a Professional Kitchen and work towards learning how to run a section (in the medium/long term).
• Punctual and reliable;
• good work ethic
• flexible and pro-active approach to work duties and hours
• committed to completing the Apprenticeship programme by combining work based learning, assessment and independent study.
Role is paid a £5 per hour
This role will include some shift work, including weekends and some Bank Holidays.
It is expected that the Apprentice will be committed to attaining a National Vocational Qualification (NVQ) alongside their working hours at Beales Hotels, supported by Southgate/Barnet College.
This role will ideally suit an individual based fairly locally, or where there will be no problems with their travelling to and from the hotel for work independently.
Beales Hotels has been a customer focused, family run company since 1769. We have 2 hotels (West Lodge Park in Hadley Wood and Beales Hotel in Hatfield), which are one of the highest rated 4 star AA Rosette Hotel in the North London and Hertfordshire area.
Beales Hotels, a family owned business, are committed to developing their team and promoting from within where possible. We offer a range of benefits and discounts/perks including:
• uniform and meals on duty
• generous hotel discounts after six months’ service
• discounted gym membership at nearby leisure centre
• staff recognition scheme
• 20 days holiday, rising to 26 days after 5 years’ service (plus Bank Holidays)
• Staff boat trips
This is a physically demanding role and will include regular shift work, including weekends and some Bank Holidays.
There will also be regular occasions when the Apprentice will have to work under pressure e.g. when working towards delivering food service e.g. lunch, dinner, or if catering for large numbers when hosting a conference/event etc.