Clyde Marine Training
There is a tremendous need for high quality and well trained personnel to manage and operate the technologically sophisticated ships of today.
Founded in 1986, Clyde Marine Training has grown to be the largest maritime training provider in the UK recruiting approximately 50% of the annual Trainee Officer intake for the British Merchant Navy, working with over 50 shipping companies.
We can offer fantastic career opportunities after undertaking one of the most highly regarded training programmes available, with internationally recognised qualifications, plus real responsibility.
Sponsorship is also provided throughout your training – meaning you will be paid while you learn.
At any one time Clyde Marine Training have approximately 900 Trainees within our system, at colleges and universities across the UK – Shetland, Glasgow, South Tyneside, Fleetwood, Liverpool, Plymouth, Peterhead and Southampton – managed by our dedicated team of over 20 staff, based in our Glasgow and Southampton offices.
Roles in the Merchant Navy
Clyde Marine Training offer the following diverse and interesting career options:
- Deck Officers - responsible for the navigation of the ship, the loading/discharge of cargo, voyage planning, radio communication, environmental issues, health and safety issues, administration duties, and the control/safety of the crew and passengers
- Engineering Officers - ensuring the smooth and efficient operation of the ship’s mechanical equipment on-board including carrying out repairs, inspections and maintenance programmes of propulsion systems, refrigeration machinery, desk machinery and passenger systems
- Electro-Technical Officer (ETO) - responsible for the maintenance and testing of all electrical equipment on-board, including engine room, bridge systems, refrigeration, and passenger areas
In order to apply for Merchant Navy Officer training you will be required to meet the minimum entry qualifications:
For entry into training via the Higher National Certificate / Diploma route you will require:
- A minimum of 4 GCSE / Standard Grades / National 5’s
- These must include Maths / English AND at least one Science based subject
The entry requirements for the Foundation Degree and Scottish Professional Diploma are:
- 120 UCAS points which must include passes in Mathematics or Physics at Higher or A Level
- In the absence of these specific requirement candidates can also submit an HNC or other higher education qualification
How do I apply?
The two stages of application for Clyde Marine Training are as follows:
- Pre-Application Assessment - which will last 10 minutes and assesses candidates numerical and literacy aptitude
- Application form - collecting your personal / educational background / qualifications / work experience details
Candidates will have 30 days to complete their application form which will be reviewed by our training team before a final decision is provided.