Gap Year


Any advice would be highly appreciated

Posted: 23/09/14 by Brent

up 0 down

I'm forced to take a gap year because I did not enroll in my uni (in which I had an unconditional offer) because of fees and my student finance application got rejected because of me being an international student. I reside currently in England and haven't been out of this country for almost 4 years. And it sucks to accept the fact that I am not going to uni because it costs a fortune. Are there any other options for me?

Sign-up or log in to reply
  • NGtU Career Advisor

    Hi Brent

    Eligibility rules can be complicated so its important to get advice. For degree courses the rules are spelt out here:

    From what you say I'm guessing that you don't have 'settled status'. ‘Settled’ means having either indefinite leave to enter or remain (ILE/R) or having the right of abode in the UK.

    Apart from student loans, the other kinds of state support for study are:

    Apprenticeships - you might be eligible for this. The government website states:

    "For apprenticeships a non-EEA citizen is eligible for funding if they have permission granted by the UK Government to live in the UK, which is not for educational purposes, and has been ordinarily resident in the UK for at least the previous three years before the start of learning."

    Some apprenticeships are called Higher Apprenticeships and these involve part-time study for a Level 4/5 qualification alongside work experience. The big advantage is you get paid a salary!

    Professional and Career and Development Loan - You can apply for a CDL for courses lasting up to 2 years. The rules state:

    "The Learner must be:

    1. aged 18 years old or over at the point of application

    2. ‘settled’ in the UK, and been ordinarily resident† in the UK for at least the three years prior to the start of your learning programme

    3. intending to work in the UK, the EU or the EEA (European Economic Area) when the course finishes "

    These are loans that have to be repaid. The government pays your interest for two years while you are studying. A wide range of professional or "vocational" courses are eligible. The course can be full time, part time or by distance learning. It may be possible to fund an HND course this way. At the end of an HND you can normally "top up" to a full degree by doing a further 1 year course.

    24+ Advanced Learning Loan - as the name implies you have to be at least 24 to be eligible. The loan can be used for level 3/4 courses. You have to be a UK national or have ‘settled status’ with no restrictions on how long you can stay.

    Depending on which country you come from, it may be possible for you to access a loan from your own government. I think such an arrangement is possible for US and Canadian citizens.

    Hope that helps a bit.


    up 0 down

  • Brent

    As of now uni seems a bit blurred but thank goodness for apprenticeships and the like, it gives me hope. This helps, thank you very much for this, Chris!

    up 0 down

Cookies: By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. For more details see our cookie policy.