College Courses

rezwana begum

Do I have to go to College in order to go to uni?

Posted: 03/12/15 by rezwana begum

up 0 down

I hated school and I'm not keen on going college however I have to go to university so I can progress in doing a specialist career subject- psychology.

Sign-up or log in to reply
  • NGtU Career Advisor

    Hi Rezwana

    To get onto a psychology degree course you need good grades in either A levels or an advanced diploma. The universities will normally specify good GCSE grades in subjects like English, Maths and possibly sciences.



    up 0 down

  • rezwana begum

    What is an advanced diploma and what can I do it in

    up 0 down

  • NGtU Career Advisor

    They are a vocational qualification as an alternative to doing 3 A levels. They last for 2 years just like A levels and you can study them in Sixth Form Colleges and FE Colleges. If you get good grades (merits or distinctions) you can progress to degree study.

    They come with different titles so you might see BTEC National Diploma or BTEC level 3 Extended Diploma. There is a wide range of subjects including:

    Creative & Media
    Leisure/Travel & Tourism
    Construction & the Built Environment
    Information Technology

    But the most relevant ones for psychology are:

    Applied Science
    Health & Social care

    Read more here:

    Just remember that the different universities have very different entry requirements and therefore you have to study these carefully. The easiest way to do this is by searching on the UCAS site.

    The entries on there give information about entry requirements but (once you have homed in on a few courses) you can look on the institution's website. If in doubt you should contact them direct!


    up 0 down

Cookies: By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. For more details see our cookie policy.